REC Alpha Series
Emerging from REC’s leadership in half-cut cell technology, the Alpha is built around 120 half-cut heterojunction cells (HJT) and advanced connection technology, designed by engineering experts from Germany and Singapore. With HJT, REC combines the benefits of crystalline silicon solar cells with those of thin film technologies for much higher efficiency and energy yield, even at higher temperatures.
Other product highlights:
• White backsheet (up to 380 Wp).
• REC’s pioneering and award-winning ‘Twin Panel’ design: Introduced in 2014, this delivers demonstrably better performance in shaded conditions.
• REC’s commercialized half-cut cell technology: The Alpha features high efficiency n-type mono wafers between thin layers of amorphous silicon.
• REC’s unique frame design: The 30 mm thin frame construction allows more panels per pallet, an easy installation and allows the Alpha to withstand snow loads of 7000Pa.
• Industry-leading warranty: 25-year product warranty on installations by REC Solar Professionals (otherwise 20 years), and a 25-year power output warranty.
• Even better for the environment: Manufacturing of REC Alpha solar panels requires less energy, which is further reducing the carbon footprint.
A ‘best-choice’ product with strong added value
The Alpha delivers the world’s best power density on a 60-cell module, a key consideration when space is tight – like on any rooftop. With the REC Alpha Series, customers will get over 20 percent more power from the same area and the same number of panels – or, put other way, the same energy output from less space. This reduces the Balance of System (BoS) costs. In addition to better economics, customers can also look forward to an increase in the value of their property: several studies in various countries show that a premium solar installation on the roof is adding value to the property and is a highly desired extra for home-buyers, not least due to the better energy performance rating.
Alpha meets new-build energy directives
The Alpha’s industry-beating energy efficiency will make it far easier for new-build owners to meet Zero Energy performance directives like in the European Union or California, U.S.1 For a 20 kW solar installation at a multi-apartment property, for example, 70 panels with 300 Wp, or an area of 140 m2, would be required. But with the 380 Wp of the REC Alpha Series, the building would only need 50 modules, or roughly 100 m². For rooftop installations with limited available space, in particular on tower buildings in cities, high power solar panels are therefore a key enabler for these building concepts.
REC shipments are traditionally driven by the rooftop segment, for which REC analysts expect 22% growth in 2019. The stronger push by governments for zero energy buildings in the EU, the USA (notably in California) and Japan, is expected to further fuel this market.